Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day One, Part Two

So today I started exercising again. This is something my fatass has not done for over a year. It was an interesting experience.

I decided to check out the DVD before committing to it - for several reasons.

First, I wanted to see what sort of workout I was in for. It looked so simple that I thought it must be a joke.

Second, I am notoriously clumsy and klutzy and wanted to see exactly how stupid I would look whilst engaging in said workout. Noted to self that workout must be done in the view of no one except my nearly-4-year-old.

Third, I wanted to see if it was something I thought I could do on a regular basis.

Fourth, I wanted to see if the DVD trainer person was normal or so perky I spent the whole time wanting to mute the video.

I watched the DVD while making a salad for dinner (something else I haven't done in well over a year). It was "Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred" - one of the trainers from "The Biggest Loser" (which I, incidentally, have never seen personally). Thankfully, she is not one of the "perky-I've-had-8-gallons-of-coffee-and-Red-Bull" trainers that I so vehemently loathe watching. She actually seemed normal and like someone that would mildly intimidate me in real life. I figured I could take her DVD with no problem.

After the salad was finished, I changed and put the DVD in to do the workout. I got my 5lb hand weights and pushed the coffee table aside.

My almost 4 year old, fresh from his nap, decided to join me. This, I thought, could be fatal to him. Who knows where my limbs might end up.

But join me he did and we were off.

The DVD has 20 minute segments and I did Level One. I used to be really into sports and activity when I was younger and figured that I would get back into the swing of it with no problem.

Read carefully: I was wrong. Read it again if you need to.

This "simple workout" that I though I was in for KICKED MY ASS. I didn't know it was possible to feel so sore and exhausted from just 20 minutes. I stuck with it (taking only a 45-60 second break towards the end when I thought I might throw up and/or pass out) and didn't permanently damage my son with my flailing limbs.

Tonight's meal: steak fajitas (I will be having mine with very light sour cream, no guacamole, and lots of lettuce and tomato and peppers) and salad.

2 comments:

  1. Don't skip on the guacamole... while 'higher' in fat (for a vegetable), its fat is unsaturated and is generally considered healthy for you and your heart (like extra virgin olive oil).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly...

    Congrats! Im excited for your journey. What a great idea to journal it. I just lost 40 pounds with weight watchers. Then ran a full marathon! 26.2 miles!

    I highly recommend WW...and then setting a fitness goal like 10k, 1/2 marathon or a marathon. I got involved with a really good training group in Richmond. No matter your age, weight, body whatever they helped us cross the finish line.

    And WW wasnt about any kind of fad diets or restricitions, but just taught me to eat healthy and take care of myself.

    Losing the weight was really life changing for me. Im actually considering going into the nutrition field now.

    If you ever want any advice or encouragement let me know. Id love to chat with you about it. It makes me really excited for you!! haha

    again congrats on your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete