Saturday, January 3, 2009

Week 1, Day 5

Well, yesterday afternoon was interesting for working out. I was (barely) able to get in my workout with both kids awake. My preschooler (aka my personal trainer, and I'll explain why in a minute) worked out with me again. He located my 2lb dumbbells and decided that he was going to use those. The kid weighs 32lbs soaking wet and decided to lift over 10% of his body weight for fun.

So we worked out and I was struggling at one point. He looks at me, as only a kid can, and says, "Do it Mommy! I'm doing it!" Whadda guy... We finished 30 Day Shred Level One and I'm stretching, and the same kid says, "Now put in the boy DVD!" Huh??? "Yeah, THAT one!" THAT one would be CardioMax, which I have yet to get through in its entirety WITHOUT having just had my ass kicked by Ms. Michaels. I gave it my best shot and made it 10 minutes. Better than nothing.

Today my trainer is napping, so I did Level 1 by myself, after attempting 15 minutes of CardioMax beforehand. When the weather gets a bit warmer, I plan to start running in the evenings, when it will still be light outside.

I made a great salmon recipe last night, with basmati rice and balsamic glazed carrots - even the preschooler liked it! I'm linking the salmon and carrot recipes here.

Balsamic Glazed Carrots
Balsamic Dijon Salmon Filets

Total calories for a serving of each: 370. And it was a quick meal to prepare, too - about 30 minutes (if you are adding "children" to your preparations, add 15 minutes per "helper".) A 3/4 cup serving of cooked basmati rice gives an additional 160 calories. I reduced my serving to 1/3 to reduce calories.

I'm interested to see how long this takes and what I'm going to look like. I'm thinking my reward is going to be a small, quarter-sized tattoo. I've wanted one for years - why not? Along the way I'll have smaller rewards, like a new pair of jeans or a shirt for every 20lbs lost.

I need some recipe ideas or links for healthy beef dishes that aren't spicy, but flavorful. Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kel--For a healthy beef dish, what about beef fajitas with whole grain tortillas? My whole family--including Teffo and 9-month-old Niko--love them. I first fry the beef (or chicken, turkey or pork) and onions in olive oil. Then I add asparagus (only because Teffo loves it and he needs every nutrient he can get), and bell peppers of all colors. I add whichever veggies are available... celery, even spinach, tomatoes, etc. We love them with fresh avocado, too!!! (Good fat!!!)

    You can add ginger and/or garlic to add more flavor to virtually any dish as well...

    Good luck! And keep sharing the recipes!

    ReplyDelete