Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Week 2, Day 2

Today was my first "real" test in eating out. My mom, sister, sons, and I all went to Red Robin. For those of you playing the home game, Red Robin is a deliciously calorie-packed place, with few and far between lean choices lurking in the corners.

I did fine ordering (a turkey wrap with a side salad instead of fries, and dressing on the side instead of drenched to begin with). Then my skinny minni sister sits down and promptly orders cheese sticks. For those of you who don't know me that well, I LOVE cheese sticks. I have gone to very nice places with my husband and pouted when cheese sticks weren't on the menu and had instead been replaced by something gross, like goat cheese on pickles (or something else they have labeled as "gourmet"). I knew I wanted those cheese sticks. I also really wanted the fries that came out with my son and mother's meals. I love dipping them in ranch dressing, as if being potatoes deep fried in oil doesn't pack enough of a calorie punch for you.

The cheese sticks came out. I quite literally had to shield part of my face and turn away and sort of "check out" for a few minutes. I wanted the cheese sticks, but I want my health and weight-loss more. After a couple of seconds feeling silly like that, I was able to resume normal human activity. I just pretended they weren't there and tried to think about how much better my food would taste - instead of just tasting all that grease.

I didn't have a single cheese stick or french fry. Not even a taste. I was so proud of myself!

Tomorrow I go to the nutritionist for the first time and I have to bring her my food journal. I think I've done pretty well as far as calories go, but I'm not sure that I'm getting the balance that I need. I'm almost certain I need more veggies and probably more fruits. I've been trying to make salads every night with dinner, but I'm really sick of my balsamic vinigrette. I'll probably switch back to light or fat-free ranch and have it on the side instead of on my salad. I like it better that way, because I can get a little dressing with each bite, instead of getting nothing with one bite, then pure dressing the next, etc.

Tomorrow evening will be another challenge. I go to a Bible study each Thursday and the first hour is a dinner. There's usually a salad, but most of the food is really bad for you type of stuff - chicken wings, pumpkin pie, etc. There have been nights where people brought nothing but dessert. I think I will eat ahead of time and just have a small salad if someone brings it. If not, I'm not hungry and I'm not tempted to eat the bad stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations hon! I love mozzarella sticks too and wings...but there is nothing wrong with having just one or two every once in a while. Gotta treat yourself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete